Storm Overseas inner page banner

Working in the UK after your Studies

Working in the UK after your Studies

So, you want to work in the UK after your studies. Excellent! In this blog, I’ll talk you through the steps you need to take in order to be able to do that.

Get careers advice:

Universities in the UK provide a wide range of support services to students, including a fully-fledged careers advisory team. Book an appointment with a careers adviser to figure out what your options are and to work out your next steps after graduating. They also run events throughout the year where you meet employers from various sectors. The advisers can also give feedback on your CV and conduct practice interviews.

Understand the visa legislation:

In order to work full time in the UK, you need a Tier 2 (Work) visa, which you can apply for while still in the UK. There are, however, some conditions you need to fulfil. Firstly, you need to be offered a ‘suitable’ job by a registered employer. ‘Suitable’ job is one that is a skilled job and meets the minimum salary requirements. A registered employer is one who is permitted by the government to hire non-UK nationals.

Start early!

Remember, you can only apply for a work visa from the UK if you still have a valid student visa at the time of application. Student visas are typically valid for 4-6 months after the completion of studies. So apply early! You should start job-hunting in your final semester, preferably though, in your penultimate semester. Also, be actively involved in university and student life from the first day onwards. Volunteer, take part in student societies and/or work part time while still keeping on top of your studies. This will help you improve your soft skills, learn something new and have work experience to show on your CV.


Please note: The information on visas is given here in good faith and doesn’t constitute legal advice. If you’re unsure about visas, please speak to your university, solicitor or visit the government’s website.

To know more please contact STORM Overseas in your area or walk into the office today.